Monday 23 February 2015

Sarah Starkins

Sarah, daughter of George and Elizabeth Starkins, married William Wallis (1743 - 1822), a liveryman and innkeeper living in Whitechapel and had issue: George Starkins Wallis 3 (1788 - 1864) and Sarah.

William's will was simple:

I, William Wallis, do hereby bequeath to my daughter, Sarah Ricket, the sum of one hundred pounds.

And the residue of my property I bequeath to my son, George Starkins Wallis.

And I do hereby appoint my said son, George Starkins Wallis, to be my sole executor and hereby declare all other wills made by me to be void, dated this twenty eighth day of November one thousand eight hundred and twenty two.

Proved at London 13th March 1823.

George Starkins Wallis 3, my children's 5x great grandfather, was born in Shoreditch in 1788 and married Elizabeth Appleton, by whom he had five sons and one daughter, in 1811 in Wanstead, Essex.

George 3 owned a livery stable in Whitechapel and, in 1848, was Master of the Worshipful Company of Upholders; in the 1861 census he was enumerated as a Magistrate living at 16 Mansell Street, Whitechapel.

His will is more extensive than his father's:

George Starkins Wallis of Mansell Street, Goodmans Fields in the County of Middlesex Esquire do hereby revoke all Wills and Codicils by me heretofore made and do declare this to be my last Will and Testament.

I direct that all my just debts and funeral and testamentary expenses be fully paid and satisfied as soon as conveniently may be after my decease by my Executers hereinafter named and appointed.

I bequeath to my daughter Emma the wife of Thomas Windle my Silver Teapot, Sugar Basin and Cream Jug and also my best set of China and also my Silver Forks and the Silver Inkstand presented to me by Sir William Clay, Baronet, and also my gold watch for her absolute use.

I bequeath to my Son in Law Thomas Windle my gold snuff box.

I bequeath to my son Walter White Wallis my Silver Tankard and also the several articles of Household Furniture in the bedroom he occupies in my dwelling house.

I bequeath to my Grandson William Wallis the son of my deceased son William the Silver Salver presented to me by the Guardians of Whitechapel Union.

I bequeath to my son Frederick John Wallis all the rest of my plate not hereinbefore bequeathed.

I bequeath to my daughter in law Emma Wallis the widow of my said son
William all the residue of my Household Goods and Furniture and also my books pictures prints wines glass and all the rest of my China not hereinbefore bequeathed for her own absolute use.

I give and bequeath to Mr.George Usley of Great Prescott Street and Mr. Richard Windle of Osborn Street, two of my Executers hereinafter named and appointed, the legacy or sum of Ten Pounds each for a gold ring to be purchased by each of them in remembrance of me.

I give devise and bequeath unto the said Thomas Windle, George Haley and Richard Windle all that my Freehold piece of ground with three houses erected on part thereof situate and being in Garden Street Stepney in the County of Middlesex and also all those my copyhold houses in Bloomsbury Terrace and John Street, Commercial Road in the County of Middlesex held by me of the Manor of Stebenheath otherwise Stepney to hold the same unto and to the use of the said Thomas Windle,  George Haley and Richard Windle and the survivors and survivor of them and the heirs of each survivor upon trust to pay and apply the rents and profits of the said last mentioned freehold and copyhold hereditaments and premises for the benefit of my four grandchildren  the sons and daughters of my late son William Wallis until the youngest of my said grandchildren shall attain the age of twenty one years and from and after such event happening upon  trust to sell the same hereditaments and premises and out of the purchase monies to arise from such sale to pay the expenses incurred in and about the same and shall divide the residue of such monies unto and equally amongst the said four children of my said son William Wallis  in equal shares and proportions with benefit of survivorship among them in case any or either of them shall depart this life under the age of twenty one  years.

And I give to the said Thomas Windle, George Haley and Richard Windle and the survivors and survivor of them and the executers and administrators  of such Survivor the sum of two thousand six hundred pounds sterling upon trust to invest the same in the Parliamentary Stock or Funds and to stand possessed of the same and the dividends and interest thereof upon the same trusts for the benefit of the said four children of my said son William Wallis as are hereinbefore directed with respect to the rents and profits of the said last mentioned freehold and copyhold hereditaments and the proceeds of the sale thereof.

I give and bequeath to my son Frederick John Wallis the legacy or sum of two hundred Pounds of lawful money.

I give and devise all my messuage or tenement situate and being No. 84 Whitechapel High Street in the County of Middlesex and also all that my freehold messuage or tenement in Angel Alley adjoining thereto with their appurtenances all which two messuages or tenements are on lease to Miss Wallis to the use of the said Thomas Windle,  George Haley and Richard Windle upon trust that the said Thomas Windle,  George Haley and Richard Windle their heirs and assigns shall pay the rents and profits of the said messuages or tenements and premises to my  daughter in law Jemima Wallis the wife of my said son Frederick John Wallis during the joint lives of my said daughter in law Jemima Wallis and her said husband for her separate use independent of her said husband and his debts control  and engagements and so that the said Jemima Wallis shall not have power to deprive herself of the benefit thereof by way of anticipation and for which her receipts alone shall be sufficient discharges and after the death of either of them the said Jemima Wallis and Frederick John Wallis shall sell the said last mentioned messuages or tenements and premises and after payment of the costs incurred in or about such sale shall invest the residue of the monies to arise from the sale thereof in their or his names or name in or upon such Stocks Funds and securities as are hereinbefore mentioned with power to vary the same at their or his discretion and shall hold the said trust monies Stocks Funds and securities in trust for all the children or any the child of my said son Frederick John Wallis who being sons shall attain the age of twenty one years or being daughters or daughter shall attain that age or marry and if more than one in equal shares.

I give and bequeath unto the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle and the survivor of them, his Executors and Administrators the sum of two thousand one hundred Pounds Sterling upon trust to invest the same in some or one of the Parliamentary Stocks or funds of Great Britain or in real securities in England or Wales in their or his names or name and to stand possessed of such Stocks,  Funds and securities and the Dividends, interest and annual produce thereof upon the like trusts for the separate use of my said daughter-in-law Jemima during the joint lives of herself and her husband and after the death of either of them upon the like trusts for the benefit of the children or child of the said Frederick John Wallis as are hereinbefore expressed and declared with respect to the rents and profits of the said last mentioned freehold and  copyhold premises and the proceeds of the sale thereof.

I give and bequeath unto each of the three children of my late son George Appleton Wallis deceased who shall have attained the age of twenty one years at the time of my decease the legacy or sum of five hundred and twenty five pounds and I give and bequeath to each of the three children of my said George Appleton Wallis who shall be under the age of twenty one years at the time of my decease the Legacy or sum of five hundred and twenty five pounds to be paid to them on their respectively attaining the age of twenty one years and I direct that the interest to accrue due on the legacies to the said last mentioned children during their respective minorities from the investment of the said several sums bequeathed to them as aforesaid shall be paid to their mother for their respective maintenance and education and in case any or either of the said last mentioned children shall die under the age of twenty years then I give and bequeath the legacy of him or her so dying unto the survivors or survivor of the said children of my said son George Appleton Wallis who shall live to attain the said age of twenty one years.

I give to each of my grandsons Alfred Wallis and George WALLIS the two sons of my deceased son Mark Wallis the legacy or sum of four hundred and fifty pounds to be paid to them on their respectively attaining the age of twenty one years and should either of them my said last named grandsons die under the said age of twenty one years then the legacy of him so dying shall go and be paid to the survivor of them and I direct that the interest or dividends to accrue due on the legacies to the said last named legatees during their respective minorities from the investment of the said several legacies bequeathed to them as aforesaid shall be paid to their mother for their respective maintenance.

I bequeath to my son Walter White Wallis the Legacy or sum of one thousand two hundred pounds sterling.

I also give and devise all that my estate at Roydon in the county of Essex being part freehold and part copyhold to the use of my said son Walter White Wallis and his heirs.

I also give and devise to my said son Walter White Wallis for his life an annuity or yearly rent charge of fifty pounds to be charged on and payable out of my copyhold estate consisting of a messuage or tenement stables, erections and buildings now In the occupation of Miss Croft and Mr Sanders situate in Whitechapel Road and Rummers Row in the parish of Saint Mary, Whitechapel and hamlet of Mile End Old Town in the County of Middlesex purchased  by me of the devisees of the late John  Clark Powell, deceased, to be paid by quarterly payments on the twenty fifth day of March, the twenty fourth day of June, the twenty ninth day of September and the twenty fifth day of December in each and every year without deduction the first payment to be made in such of the said quarterly days as shall happen next after my decease and a proportionate part to be paid up to the determination  thereof and I declare and direct that if the said annuity or yearly rent charge shall at any time be unpaid for twenty one days after any of the said days appointed for the payment thereof it shall be lawful for my said son Walter White Wallis to enter into and distrain upon the said copyhold premises hereinbefore charged therewith or any part thereof and to dispose according to law of the distress or distresses then and there found to the intent that thereby or otherwise the said annuity or yearly rent charge of fifty pounds and every part thereof so unpaid and all expenses incurred  by the non payment thereof shall be fully paid.

And I do hereby declare and direct that in case the said Walter White Wallis shall became bankrupt or shall, do. Permit or suffer to be done any act whereby the said annuity or yearly rent charge shall be seized or taken in execution or shall sell or dispose of, incumber or charge the said annuity or yearly rent charge or attempt to sell, dispose of or incumber the same then and in either of the said cases and from thenceforth the said annuity or yearly rent charge shall wholly cease, determine and be no longer payable or chargeable.

I give and devise all that my said Copyhold estate held by me of the Manor of Stebonheath otherwise Stepney consisting of the said messuage or tenement, stables, sheds, erections and buildings with the appurtenances now in the tenure or occupation of Miss Croft and Mr Sanders situate and being in Whitechapel Road and Rummers Row in the Parish of Saint Mary, Whitechapel and hamlet of Mile End Old Town in the county of Middlesex subject nevertheless and charged and chargeable with the payment of the said annuity of fifty pounds per Annum hereinbefore given and bequeathed by me to my said son Walter White Wallis as aforesaid and also all other my freehold and copyhold messuages or tenements, lands, hereditaments and premises hereinbefore specifically devised with the appurtenances to the use of the said  George Ilsley and Richard Windle their heirs and assigns upon trust that they the said George Ilsley and Richard Windle their heirs and assigns shall pay the rents and profits of the said several hereditaments and premises to my said daughter Emma Windle for her life for her separate use, independent of any husband and of his debts, control or engagements and so that the said Emma Windle shall not have power to deprive herself of the benefit thereof by way of anticipation and for which her receipts alone shall be sufficient discharges.

And I give and bequeath all the residue and remainder of my personal estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever and of what nature or kindsoever not hereinbefore specifically bequeathed unto the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle, their executors and administrators upon trust that they or the survivor of them, his executors or administrators, shall as soon as convenient after my death sell, call in and convert into money such part of my said residuary personal estate as shall not consist of ready money and shall stand possessed of the monies to arise from such sale, calling in and conversion into money and of the ready money of which I shall die possessed upon trust, after payment thereout of my debts, funeral and testamentary expenses and the legacies hereinbefore bequeathed, to invest the residue or surplus of the said trust monies in their or his names or name in or upon any of such stocks, funds and securities as are hereinbefore mentioned with power to  vary the same at their or his discretion and shall pay the interest, dividends and annual produce thereof to my said daughter Emma Windle for her life for her separate use free from the debts, control or engagements of any husband but so that she may not have power to deprive herself of the benefit thereof in the way of anticipation and so that her receipts alone shall be sufficient discharge for the same and from and after the death of my said daughter Emma Windle I give, devise and bequeath my said copyhold estate and hereditaments in Whitechapel Road and Rummers Row aforesaid and also other my freehold and copyhold hereditaments and premises not hereinbefore  specifically devised and also all and singular the said last mentioned trust stock, funds and securities unto such person or persons and for such purposes as my said daughter Emma Windle shall, notwithstanding her coverture by dead or will or codicil appoint and in default of such appointment and so far as any such appointment shall not extend I give , devise and bequeath the said copyhold hereditaments in Whitechapel Road and Rummers Row aforesaid and also the said other freehold and copyhold hereditaments not specifically devised as aforesaid to the use of the right heirs of the said Emma Windle.

And I give and bequeath the said last mentioned trust stock funds and securities unto such person or persons as under the statues for the distribution of the estates of intestates would have became entitled thereto if the said Emma Windle had died possessed thereof intestate and unmarried such persons if more than one to take as tenants in common provided always.

And I declare that until my said messauges, lands and premises hereinbefore respectively devised as aforesaid shall be sold it shall be lawful for the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle or other the trustees or trustee of this my will for the time being at their or his discretion to demise all or any part of the same messuages, lands and premises with the appurtenances for any term of years absolute not exceeding twenty one years to take effect in possession so that there be required in every such demise the best yearly rent or rents to be incident to the immediate reversion that can be reasonably given without taking any fine, premium or  foregift or anything in the nature thereof provided always.

And I declare that in case any sale shall be made of my said freehold, copyhold and leasehold premises and residuary estate under the trusts hereinbefore declared it shall be lawful for the trustees or trustee for the time being of this my will to sell the same either together or in parcels and either by public auction or private contract with such stipulations as to title or evidence of title as the said trustees or trustee shall think fit with power to buy in the same premises or any part thereof at any sale by auction and to rescind after or vary any contract for Sale and to resell without being answerable for any loss to be occasioned thereby and to do and execute all such acts and assurances for effectuating any such sale as they or he shall think fit.

I devise all the freehold and copyhold estates vested in me upon trust or by way of mortgage to the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle, their heirs and assigns upon trust subject to the equities affecting the same respectively but the money occurred on such mortgage to be considered as part of my personal estate.

And I appoint the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle upon trust executors of this my will.

And I authorise the acting executors or executor for the time being of this my will to satisfy any debts claimed to be owing by me or my estate and any liabilities to which my estate may be obliged to be subject upon any evidence they or he shall think proper and to accept any compensation or security for any debt and to allow such time for payment (either with or without taking security) as to the said acting executors or executor shall seem fit and also to compromise or submit to arbitration and settle all accounts and matters belonging or relating to my estate and generally to act in regard thereto as they or he shall deem expedient without being responsible for any loss thereby  occasioned.

And I hereby declare that the receipts or receipt of the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle or the survivor of them or the heirs, executors or administrators of such survivor, their or his assigns or of the trustees or trustee for the time being acting in the execution of any of the trusts hereof for the purchase money of premises sold or for any rents, monies, funds or securities which may be paid or transferred to them or him in pursuance hereof of any of the trusts hereof shall effectually discharge the  purchaser or purchasers, lessee or lessees or other the person or persons paying or transferring the same therefrom and from being concerned to see to the application or being answerable for the misapplication thereof.

And I hereby declare that of the said Thomas Windle, George Ilsley and Richard Windle or any or either of them shall die in my lifetime or if they or any of them or any trustee or trustees to be appointed as hereinafter is mentioned shall after my death die or desire to be discharged or refuse or become incapable to act then and so often it shall be lawful for the surviving or continuing trustees or trustee for the time being (and for this purpose refusing or retiring trustees shall, if willing to act in this power, be considered as continuing trustees ) or for the acting executors or administrators of the last surviving or continuing trustee to appoint any other person or persons to be a trustee or trustees in the room of the trustee or trustees so dying or desiring to be discharged or refusing or becoming incapable to act and therefrom the said trust estates, monies and premises shall be vested in the new trustee or trustees jointly with the surviving or continuing trustee or trustees or solely as occasion  shall require and every new trustee shall (before and after the said trust premises shall have become so vested) have the same powers and discretion as if he had been hereby originally appointed a trustee.

And I exempt every trustee and executor of my will from liability from losses occurring without his or her own wilful default or by reason of any banker, broker or other person in whose hands any of the trust monies shall be placed or by reason of the insufficiency of any stocks, funds or securities.

And I authorise him or her to retain and allow to his co-trustee and co-executor all expenses incidental to the trusteeship or executorship.

In witness whereof I, the said testator George Starkins Wallis, have to this my last will and testament contained in nine sheets of paper set my hand to each sheet thereof this seventeenth day at February in the year of our Lord one thousand  eight hundred and sixty four…..

Proved at London 1st November 1864.

Late of Mansell Street, Goodmans Fields in the county of Middlesex Esquire and died 10th October 1864 at Mansell Street aforesaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment