The Church of St Dunstan by Walter Courtenay Pepys and Ernest Godman
Church of St. Dunstan stands in the churchyard on the east of Stepney
High Street. It consists of a clear-storied nave of five bays, with wide
aisles, western tower, and a choir of two bays, with a presbytery
without aisles projecting eastward. There are also vestries adjoining
the presbytery on the north, and north and south porches to the nave.
is no chancel arch, but the choir is sufficiently defined by the
meeting of the open high-pitched roof of the nave with the nearly flat
chancel ceiling between the fifth and sixth bays from the west, and the
presence of stairs formerly leading to the destroyed rood loft. The
point is also marked on the north side by a heavier pier between the
fifth and sixth arches.
The main alley of the church
has a pitched roof covered with tiles, and is ceiled internally. The
aisle roofs are flat and leaded.
Externally the church
has been "restored" with such completeness that scarcely a vestige of
old wrought stone work remains visible. The fabric is of various dates,
but though the rubble walls in large part are probably much earlier, the
bulk of the detail is coarse "Perpendicular"of various dates ranging
through the fifteenth century. Of this period, naturally the most
prolific in works of architecture, there are many features of similarity
to those at St. Dunstan's in the neighbouring churches of Bow, West
Ham, Barking, the old Tower of Hackney Church, and many others.
interior has recently been entirely denuded of plaster, and despite
several interesting disclosures made in the process, this is in many
A chronological detailed
description of the church being well-nigh impossible owing to the
confusing effect of restorative zeal, perhaps the best course is to
treat each feature in sequence from west to east.
Western tower is 92 feet high, and in its lowest stage opens to the nave
by a "Perpendicular" arch. Above is the ringing loft, and again the
clock chamber, reached by a stone newel stair in the north-west corner,
which continues to the tower roof. The stair turret is wholly internal.
The large belfry contains ten bells. The tower roof, within modern
battlements, has a curious louvred arrangement, which seems to
incorporate the base of a former lantern now destroyed. In the "extra
illustrated" copy of Lysons' Environs of London in the 12 other,
apparently earlier, is undated. There is also an original drawing dated
1794. All these illustrations are in remarkable agreement, unusual in
such cases, and each shows the tower roof surmounted by an octagonal
cupola of pleasing design, 'ogee' in shape, apparently lead covered, and
rising above an open arcaded stage standing upon a louvred base (the
latter quite possibly that still existent and now hidden from view by
the raised parapet). Surmounting the cupola is shown a gilded ball and
vane terminating with a crown as finial.
In the 1795
view the roof over the nave is shown to be covered with lead, the
chancel has an additional roof, as at present, which is covered with
tiles. But it is evident that the chancel roof was also leaded in the
first case, and that it was of the usual 15th century character, the
lead covering being laid on the rafters and boarding which now appear
only as an inner ceiling over the chancel; for we read that at a meeting
of the Vestry, held on April 1, 1656:
Churchwardens and others Jindeing a dropping downe of raine in severall
places over the ChanceII by which the people were disturbed and that
there was feare of the decayeing and rotting the timbers in that roofe
to ye greate danger & damage of the people they did by
themselves & workemen take a vewe upon the leads over the
Chancell, which they found very defective, The charge of which (in case
the lead bee taken upp and new cast) is estimated by the said workemen
att £/\. $ y otherwise to bee only layde with a new crowne peece
& the two gutters new layde with sodering and workemenshipp as
itt now lyes will cost ^T"i 8, And the timber worke not valued, The
consideration of this is left to the vestry. "
matter was further considered at a meeting held on April 28th following,
& the necessary works ordered, for which payment was authorized
at a meeting in the following January. The exact nature of these works
is not specified, but it may be that instead of the extensive repairs
being made to the old lead flat, the additional roof, more steeply
pitched and covered with tiles, was constructed. The chancel roof of the
Chapel at Stratford Bow, which was of the same style and date, was
treated in a similar manner about 1755.
aisles were, until the 1899 restoration, filled with galleries which
have been removed; the present seating of the nave is largely made up of
old oak panelling of various 18th century types.
the aisle walls have been raised, probably when the present flat roofs
were constructed. The character of the masonry changes about two feet
below the present wall plates; below, it is random rubble, but the upper
portion is partly brickwork and coursed. Externally at this level there
are traces of a string course. The south aisle roof has fine carved
braces, and the two eastern bays of this aisle were remodelled in the
early 15th century period, evidently to form a chantry chapel, the walls
being either rebuilt or increased in height and the windows enlarged.
the north aisle of the nave the windows are of three lights with
depressed four-centred untraceried heads, splayed jambs, and segmental
rear-arches. Those in the south aisle are three light segmental pointed,
also without tracery, in square jambs with through-arches and hollow
chamfer. The window in the west wall of this aisle has formerly been
similar, but is now reduced.
The clerestory has small,
square-headed, two-light windows beneath segmental arches, &
maybe of "Decorated" date; Perpendicular clerestories are generally
larger. The nave is ceiled in oak with a flat four- centred barrel
vault. Most of this is new, having been destroyed in the fire of 1901,
together with the choir roof and organ.
north and south porches are modern. The doorways, however, are good
examples of fifteenth century date, and must always have been protected
by porches of some description, being well preserved. Beside each is a
stoup. A highly interesting Norman rood, now fixed on the north wall of
the chancel, formerly surmounted the south door. In the engravings of
the Guildhall 'Lysons' before-mentioned there are shown north and south
porches to the nave, though these can scarcely be the original porches,
as they are seemingly constructed of slight wooden framing with hipped
roofs. The Norman rood shows clearly above the roof of the south porch.
The drawing before referred to, entitled "Stepney before the alterations
1794”, also shows the western porch. The northern and southern porches
originally had glazed sides, for in the Vestry minutes, June 18, 1619:
"It is ordered that the Porches one upon the
South side, the other upon the North side, be repaired; the floores
made even, and paved and the glasse windows amended. "
In a print in 'Maitland' 1755 the south porch is represented with glazed sides.
1610 a western porch beyond the tower was erected in the "Tuscan" style
by Mr. Richard Phillips, churchwarden. It is represented in a print (no
date) in ' Lysons ' published in 1811, and no doubt was demolished
because it fitted so ill with the rest of the building. It never can
have been required, the base of the tower forming every shelter
From wall to wall, passing in front of the
fifth piers from the west, stood the ancient screen, the aisles
continuing two bays beyond and forming chapels. In the south wall still
remains the staircase giving access to the loft, and from thence to the
roofs. This has been altered to serve the galleries, but the position
and extent of the original openings are still visible. In the spandril
between the two arches springing from the bulkier pier in the north
arcade is a narrow arched opening from nave to aisle. A heavy beam with
braces here provides a start for the lower ceiling of the choir and
presbytery, and the two remaining bays of arcade are unclerestoried. The
first arch eastward from this is depressed and of different outline to
the remainder. Traces of a string course are noticeable some distance
below the present roof, possibly marking the roof level of the 13th
century church. In the north aisle the second window from the east is
the only one remaining in the church with curvilinear tracery. It is a
two-light window with splayed jambs and simple flowing tracery of the
14th century or "Decorated" period.
The two choir bays
of the south aisle are now fitted as a chapel and divided from the main
alley by a screen. The roof here is slightly higher and the three
windows have moulded jambs and pointed arches almost equilateral in
proportion, filled with Perpendicular tracery. At the east end of the
north aisle is a door leading to the vestries and a squint to the high
altar discovered during a recent restoration. On the eastern respond is
now placed the Norman rood before mentioned.
wall of the presbytery is pierced by the squint and by a door to the
vestries, which was disclosed during the 1899 restoration.
of this and to the north of the high altar is the tomb to Sir Henry
Collet 1510. Above is an arched window opening containing part of the
The east window of five lights with lean
Perpendicular tracery is very broad and low in proportion. Its jamb
shafts with their caps are of 14th century date, & indicate the
presence of an earlier window in this space. On the south wall are
triple sedilia, "Early English" in style, but so exceedingly well
preserved as to be objects of suspicion; an old print in the vestry
shows these much mutilated. As a liberal coat of whitewash has recently
been applied, it is impossible to see how much of the old work remains.
The window above is of the date of the early 15th century alterations,
but was restored during the last century. There is no piscina, its usual
position being usurped by the tomb, with Greek Doric columns, to
Benjamin Kenton. This was taken out by the Rector during the late
restoration in the hope of discoveries, but as nothing was found it was
replaced. West of the sedilia is a doorway now blocked and used as a
Towards the top of the south wall of the
presbytery and choir are traces of sharply-pointed arches at a higher
level than the present. These would seem to be the rear-arches of
earlier windows. Similar traces, not so well defined, exist in the north
The vestries contain no work of architectural
interest, but several good engravings and prints of the church in
earlier times. Above is the organ loft. The organ destroyed in the
recent fire had good Renaissance woodwork, some of which is preserved.
In the gallery over the western entrance is also preserved a very fine
oak poppy-head bench-end. The present ritual arrangement of the church
does not coincide with the original. There is no screen, and the choir
seating occupies one bay of the true choir and part of the presbytery,
the nave having encroached one bay on the choir. An oak pulpit is placed
on the north side, against the first pier from the east, and the font
at the west end of the nave before the tower arch.
1806 the church was repaired both within side, and without, at the
expense of at least £5000, on this occasion all the monuments were
repaired, and the inscriptions restored with much care. (Harkian MS.
Vol. I. 36). Unfortunately the vestry minutes of this date being lost,
no details of this extensive restoration can be given.
In 1828 the Church was "thoroughly repaired and beautified" (Lewis' The 1828 & Topogr. Diet. )
1846-8 a restoration was recorded in an inscription upon the window
over the east end of the nave which was destroyed in the great fire of
October 1901 and not replaced.
This restoration was
begun in the incumbency of the Rev. Daniel Vawdrey, and finished in that
of the Rev. Richard Lee. It was not however until 1852 that the
accounts were settled; the total cost was £3610. It was probably at this
restoration that the east wall was refaced, unfortunately of brick
instead of rubble, like the rest of the Church, and the galleries much
reduced. A notice of this restoration occurs in the Rev. J. H.
Sperling's Church Walks in Middlesex, 1849, together with architectural
details of the fabric.
In the restoration of 1901 the east wall was refaced with rough stone to correspond with the remainder of the Church.
the north wall at the west entrance is a brass, which records the
restoration of the Church, and the erection of the porches and second
Restoration vestry in 1871-2, during the incumbency of the Rev. J.
Bardsley. It was at this restoration that the whole of the Church was
refaced, a new organ built, and the west window filled with stained
glass. At the restoration during the Rev. J. F. Kitto's incumbency
(1885-6), in addition to cleaning and painting, the choir seats, a new
pulpit and east window were added, the ground lowered all round the
Church, and the main approach widened and deepened so as to bring it
down to a level with the Church; before that two steps led down to the
west door. The total expenditure was £3783.
restoration of 1899, during the incumbency of the present rector, the
Rev. A. E. Dalton, is commemorated on an inscribed brass tablet by
Restoration the west door of the nave. The work included the removal of
the galleries, stripping the plaster from the walls inside the Church,
remodelling the seats, rebuilding the organ, re-hanging the bells, and
placing the altar in the south chapel, at a total cost of £5,600.
account of the great fire of October 1901 had better be given in the
words of the Rector, as published by him in the Parish Report of Fire
"October 12th, 1901, will be a day long
remembered in Stepney. At 6.20 A. M the alarm was given that the Church
was on fire, and it was soon found that owing to the morning being very
foggy, and the fire being at the east end, right away from the road, it
had obtained a strong hold ere it was discovered. How long it had been
burning we shall never know. There was no smell of fire when the Church
was closed at 9.30 the evening before. It originated from a gas jet in
the stoke-hole under the vestry floor, that had been there for thirty
years, within a foot of a wooden ceiling, which was protected only by a
thin sheet of iron. Probably this had gradually worn thin, and the wood
above it become more charred, till at last it ignited. Once through the
vestry floor, the fire laid hold on the cupboards of cassocks and
surplices, and within ten minutes of the alarm being given the flames
were through the roof of the choir vestry. A wooden staircase carried
them up to the organ chamber, which was a literal furnace before the
first engine arrived, & thence the flames reached the roof,
along which they raced with terrific speed. In a very few minutes 18
engines and 120 men of the Fire Brigade were on the spot, &
though at first they feared the whole church was doomed, yet their
energy and skill were equal to the task, and by cutting through the roof
just before the fire reached the tower, they got it under control, and
before 8 o'clock it was all out.
Of the vestries
only the bare walls remained, their contents being entirely destroyed,
except the plate and registers, which were preserved intact by their
The organ was entirely gone, including
the fine old front carved by Grinling Gibbons. Of the roof we have
preserved only the main beam of the chancel arch, two out of the four
big beams of the chancel, & the ten rafters next the tower. One
bay of the north aisle roof was also destroyed. The altar was burnt
owing to a portion of the organ falling upon it, and the choir stalls
were considerably damaged by falling tiles, but otherwise the internal
fittings were only damaged by smoke & water, thanks to the
excellence of the old roof, none of which fell in. The east window was
three-fourths destroyed, and two other of the stained glass windows
considerably damaged. "
The subsequent repairs rendered necessary by this fire are also detailed in the following account by Mr. Dalton :
"We have endeavoured to replace everything as it was before the fire,
putting the roof back timber by timber in good English oak, only
boarding it with oak instead of the deal of comparatively recent date.
This and the new vestry doors have all been cut from the unburnt
portions of the old oak timbers. The timbers of the roof, which were not
touched in the restoration of 1899, were found to be very rotten,
& before many years much repair must have been undertaken. Thus
two corbels, each 12x15 inches, on which the centre beam of the nave
roof rested, and which had been bedded 12 inches into the wall, were so
completely rotten that not two inches of them remained. Now we have a
roof sound and solid (the new chancel beams weighed two tons each)
& one which we hope may last for another 400 years."
A new altar was provided, and the choir seats restored in the places injured by fire.
The east and south windows in the chancel, and the east window of the north aisle, were replaced.
the fact that St. Dunstan's Church appears to have suffered more, to
judge by various records, than many of its neighbours in matters of
spoliation or neglect of its monuments, there are still many preserved
on the walls inside the Church: some are of considerable artistic merit,
and not a few commemorate persons who became famous in the history of
their times. In one, the monument to Dame Rebecca Berry, there is a
wealth of local tradition owing to the fact that the arms on the
sinister side of the shield bear, among other charges, a fish and ring
(amulet); the monument has therefore been connected with the picturesque
"fish and ring" legend, which appears, with slight variations, in many
parts of the country. The interior Church was formerly much richer in
memorials than now; two are given from Weever (Fun. Mon. ) on pp. 35-36;
Norden (Speculum Brittania, 1593) mentions William Chaldnam and Joan
his wife, 1484, "in the north aisle, and Lady Anne Wentworth, 1571.
Twenty-three monuments, which no longer exist, are also mentioned in
Strype's edition of Stow (1720).
The following extract
from Gough's Sepulchral Monuments, 1786, Vol. II. Part II. Page
cccxxiv. Accounts for a great deal of this destruction both in Church
"How laudably attentive the
Church Wardens of parish Churches among us are, will appear from the
following Advertisement: 'Whereas there are many monuments, tombs and
vaults in the Church and Chancel of St. Dunstan's Stepney, in a ruinous
state, and many flat and headstones broken and sunk, or buried in the
said Churchyard, and the said Churchyard from the great number of
burials therein has become uneven, and in great need of a reform: The
Church Wardens of the said Parish hereby give notice that all and every
person or persons interested in any monument, vault, or flatstone in the
said Church, or monument, tomb with flat or headstone in the said
Churchyard, & who wish to preserve & perpetuate the
same, that unless they apply to the Church Wardens, or any of them, on
or before the first of January next, & agree to perform or pay
for such repairs and replacing as are respectively necessary to such
monuments, tombs, vaults, head and flatstones, that the same shall be
removed without further notice, and that no grave in the said Churchyard
will for the future be suffered to be raised above the surface of the
ground. Thomas Taylor Ch. Warden Radcliffe. John Williams, Poplar
& Blackwall. Matthias Kitchen, M. E. Old Town. William Cox,M. E.
The Vestry Minutes from 1777 to 1821 having
been lost, the exact date of the above advertisement cannot be
ascertained through the names of the Churchwardens, but probably it was
about the time of the publication by Gough, viz. , 1786.
inscriptions on the monuments, together with the heraldry, have been
carefully copied, and are given below: the order in which they have been
taken is beginning at the west end of the south aisle and proceeding
eastward, returning from the chancel along the north aisle. It will be
observed that the present position of some of the monuments does not
agree with that given by the older authorities, because many of them
were removed to their present places at the last restoration. Reference
will also be found to the "beautifying" of the monuments during the
restoration of the church, and it is to be feared that the original
tinctures have in many cases been varied in the repainting of the
shields. In an extra-illustrated copy of Lyson's Environs of London
preserved in the Guildhall Library, many of these shields are described
or illustrated, and when any reference to "Lysons" is made in the case
of variations, it is this particular copy that is referred to.
NO. 1. EMMA RIMINGTON, 1852.
white marble tablet, with an inscription only, in memory of Emma
Rimington, her husband Michael R. Junior, of Bombay, and her father
Edward Thornhill of Upper Clapton.
NO. 2. DAME REBECCA BERRY, 1606.
monument is in the form of a large shield, of stone, supported on a
small bracket bearing a cherub's head. Above, it is surmounted by a coat
of arms. Over all is an urn and a gilded lamp with the oil burning. The
shield is in its heraldic colours, and the urn and shield are slightly
gilt. Otherwise the stone (of unpolished marble) is left untouched, the
black sunk lettering of the inscription filling the whole centre.
LIETH INTERR D THE BODY OF DAME REBECCA BERRY, WIFE OF THOMAS ELTON OF
STRATFORD BOW, GENT. WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE, APRIL 26 1606 AGED 52
Ladies, you that would appear like angels fair, come dress you here.
Come dress you at this marble stone, And make that humble grace your own
Which once adorn'd as fair a mind As e'er yet lodg'd in womankind. So
she was dress'd whose humble life was free from pride, was free from
strife, Free from all envious brauls and jarrs Of human life, the civil
wars, These ne'er disturbed her peaceful mind. Which still was gentle,
still was kind. Her very looks, her garb, her mein Disclosed the humble
soul within. Trace her through every scene of life, View her as Widow,
Virgin, Wife, Still the same humble she appears the same in youth, the
same in years, The same in low and high estate Ne'er vext with this,
ne'er mov'd with that So Ladies now, and if you'd be as fair, as great,
as good as she Go learn of her humility.
Dame Berry's Monument.
tablet was originally upon the exterior of the East Wall, and there
appears in a print in "Lysons" date 1809. When it was removed to its
present position is uncertain. It is known as "The Fish and the Ring"
monument and has received perhaps more notice than it deserves, from the
idea that the lady, whose virtues are recorded upon it, was the heroine
of the common legend describing the loss of a ring, & its
marvellous recovery from the inside of a fish. The legend appears in
many places and many forms, and probably was only connected with Dame
Berry from the Coat of Arms on the monument, which contains a fish and a
Her first husband was the distinguished Admiral Sir J. Berry, whose monument is in the N. Aisle.
NO. 3. ALEX. WELLER, 1734.
next, a white marble shield of similar size, around which carved
drapery is shown. Below are crossed palm branches and above a coat of
arms of which the bearings are almost obscured. According to Lysons they
are as follows: Sa., 2 chevronels between 3 roses arg., impaling arg., a
lion rampant gu., on a chief sa. 3 escallops arg. The inscription
states that the body is interred "near the enterance of the western
porch of this church."
Burial register.—Nov. 18, 1734. Alexander Weller of Old Artillery Ground.
NO. 4. JANE NEVILL, LADY DETHICK. 1606.
elaborate wall-monument to Jane Nevill, Lady Dethick, occupies the
central position on the south wall. It is of marble, the mouldings
gilded, and consists of a central arch over the inscription, on each
side of which two detached columns of black marble support a small
projecting cornice, which overshadows the whole. Two gilded brackets are
placed under the columns, & between them is a small panel with
the name of the executor who erected the monument. The central
inscription is in bold capitals and is given below. Above the caps of
the columns, which are gilded and ornamented with egg-and-dart carving,
is a gilt rose.
A coat of arms stands in a circle over the
cornice, but (according to Lysons) they are not the arms of Lady
Dethick, for she was a Duncomb of Buckinghamshire. She married as her
second husband Alex. Nevill, Esq. The arms, according to Lysons, are:
Quarterly of nine—
1. gu., on a saltire arg., a rose of the field. Nevill.
2. Fretty or and gu., on a canton erm. a ship sa. Nevill (ancient).
3. Gu. billety or, a lion rampant of the last. Bulmer.
4. Ermine (a crescent gu). (fn. 1) Eudo, Earl of Brittany.
5. Or, a chief indented az. Middleham.
6. Az. 3 crescents and semée of cross crosslets arg. Glanville.
7. Quarterly or and gu., a bend sa. Clavering.
8. Az. an escutcheon (barry of 4 arg. & gu.), (fn. 1) within an orle of martlets arg. Walcot.
9. Arg., on a chevron gu., 3 fleur-de-lys or. Pever.
Impaling Or, 5 eagles displayed in saltire, sa.
The inscription is as follows:
memoriæ ianæ nevillæ dominæ detheck matronæ religiosissimæ
modestissimæ: omnibus qua corporis, qua animi (dum vixit) dotibvs orna
tissimæ: jesu christi servæ devotissimæ: conivgi svæ fidelissimæ:
amantissimæ qua cum viginti fere dvos annos felicissime transegerat;
alexander nevillus armiger, hoc nunquam inter moritvri amoris sui
monvmentvm fieri testamento curavit. postquam annos fere sexaginta novem
vixerat, vicesimo nono novembris 1606 placidissime in domino obdormivit
Tobiah worthington, alexandro nevillo ex testamento solus executor;
ipsius mandato hoc monumentum posuit
Burial Register.—Dec. 1606.
Jane Lady Detheck, als Garter, wife to the Worshipful Alexander Neville
of Poplar, Esquire, buryed the first day of December.
NO. 5. REV. HENRY LECHE, 1742.
plain white marble slab projecting slightly beyond two fluted pilasters
which support it on each side, bears the inscription: "In memory of
Henry Leche, clerk, late Rector of this Parish, who died June ye 15th,
1742." Below, two entwined branches are carved beneath a skull,
& over the slab is the coat of arms and crest, coloured and
gilt. Arms:—Erm., on a chief indented gu. three crowns or.
Burial Register.—June 18, 1742. Rev. Mr. Henry Leche, Rector of this Parish—buried in the Chancel.
NO. 7. CAPT. NATHANIEL OWEN, 1708.
marble shield, draped, with two cherubs' heads at the top corners and a
skull below, in memory of Capt. Nathaniel Owen, ob. Feb. 2, 1708, his
first wife Mary, ob. Aug. 6, 1685, & second wife Bridget, ob. 16
March, 1709. Above is carved the coat of arms, uncoloured, but
according to Lysons—Arg., a lion rampant sa. a canton of the second,
impaling az., a fesse embattled erm. between 3 cockatrices' heads
Burial Register.—1685. Aug 6. Mary wife of Capt Nathaniel Owen of Mileend mariner
NO. 8. NICHOLAS GIBSON, OB. 1510.
Brass Tablet dated 1900, bearing a shield with the arms Az. 3 cranes,
and inscribed To the memory of Nicholas Gibson, Sheriff of London, and
Avis his wife, who founded A.D. 1538 The Coopers' Company's Grammar
School at Ratcliffe, this brass was erected A.D. 1900 in grateful
appreciation by the Association of Old Coopers' School Boys. They lie
buried in the Chancel of this Church.
Now mercifull Iesu, which hast assysted owre intent
Have mercy on owre sowles, and as for the residew
If it be thy will, thou mayst owre act continew"
Strype's Stow, 1720, is the following account of a monument to N.
Gibson, which is stated to have stood on the S. side of the Chancel.
LIETH BURIED NICHOLAS GIBSON, CITIZEN AND GROCER OF LONDON, AND AVIS
HIS WIFE WHO WERE FOUNDERS OF THE FREE SCHOOLS AT RATCLIFFE, AND AFTER
SHE MARRIED WITH SIR ANTHONY KNEVIT KNIGHT, WHICH LIETH HERE BURIED ALSO
WHICH NICHOLAS DIED THE XXIIJ OF SEPTEMBER 1510. AND THE SAID LADY AVIS
ALSO DIED THE THIRD DAY OF OCTOBER 1514 WHOSE SOULS JESU PARDON.
Weever has the following inscriptions upon this monument:
Here was I borne, and here I make myne end
Though I was Citizen and Grocer of London,
And to that office of Schrevalty did ascend;
But things transitorie passe and vanische sone,
To God be geeuen thanks if that I have ought done.
That to his honowre, and to the bringing vp of youth,
And to the succoure of the age; for sewerly this is soth.
By Avise my wyff children were left me non
Which we both did take as God had it sent;
And fixed our myndes that ioyntly in on,
To releeue the poore by mutual consent.
Now mercifull Iesu which hast assysted owre intent,
Have mercy on owre sowles, and as for the residew,
If it be thy will thou mayst owre act continew.
Upon the same marble these verses following:
The five and twentyth day of this monyth of Septembyr,
And of owre Lord God the fifteenth hundred and fowrty yeere,
Master Nicholas Gibson dyde as this tombe doth remembyr,
Whose wyff aftyr married the worschyful esquier,
Master William Kneuet, one of the Kings privy chamber,
Much for his time also did he endeuer
To make this act to continew for euer.
pious act here mentioned in this epitaph, is a free school founded at
Radcliff in this parish, by the said Nicholas and Avise for the
instruction of threescore poor men's children, by a schoolmaster and an
usher, with an almshouse, for fourteen poor aged persons; and this
foundation continues to this day; (Weever). Both the almshouses and
school were demolished about eight years since, and the inscribed
tablets and stones from the buildings were obtained by the Survey
Committee and presented to the London County Council, to be preserved in
the Council's museum of London antiquities.
NO. 9. REV. GEO. HARPER, D. D. , 1815.
next memorial is a stone sarcophagus represented with pilasters each
side and natural foliage. Above, a pediment in which a gilt shield shows
no arms visible. It is surrounded by a carved wreath of flowers.
NO. 10. DR. BLONDEL, 1734.
the last is a plain marble slab bearing the name of Jacobi Augusti
Blondel, M. D. , and a long inscription. Two flat fluted pilasters stand
each side, and over a small cornice is the coat of arms with a lamp
each side, the flames of which are gilt. Arms : az. , 2 bars and in
chief a mullet or.
NO. 11. LIEUTENANT HAROLD CHARRINGTON, R. N. , 1882.
the Glory of God and in Memory of Lieutenant Harold Charrington, R. N. ,
second son of Spencer Charrington, Esq. , of this Parish, who was
killed by Arabs in the Desert of Mount Sinai on August 11th 1882. This
and the adjoining windows are dedicated by Friends of the Family.
NO. 12. THOMASINE BREWSTER, 1596.
the South wall is a dark marble slab into which are let two brasses,
the one below bearing an inscription to the wife of John Brewster, Esq.
1596. The one above bears the coat of arms a chevron erm. between 3
estoiles, impaling a chevron erm. between 3 lion's heads erased, and a
chief bearing no charges. The inscription is as follows:
LYETH THE WIFE OF JOHN BREWSTER ESQ WHOS HEAVENLIE DEATH DECLARS HER
HAPPY LYFE FAME SAYE THY WORSTE OF HER 1 THE DESIRE AND THOV MUST BLASE
HER FOR A GODLY WYFE OF RICH & POORE THOV KNOWEST, BELOVED WAS
SHE SPEAKE THOV THERFORE, THE REST OF HER FOR ME I SAYE NOE MOORE, HER
NAME WAS THOMASINE TO WHOM NO DOUBPT THE LORD FORGAVE HER SINE NOW
BLESSED IS ALMIGHTIE GOD THEREFORE AND PRAYSED BE HIS NAME FOR EVERMORE
OBIIT ANNOS ETATIS SUE 46. ANNO DNI 1596
was Secondary of the Fines Office, and appears in the Vestry Minutes as
Auditor for Poplar 1589-91. He sat on the Vestries of 1589 and 1594, but
then is entered as “gone”. He married first, Thomasine, d. of John
Piers, and second Elizth. d. of R. Thornhill, and widow of Sir James
Deane -his pedigree, and an account of the funeral of his second wife
are to be seen (Brit. Mus. Add. MS. 14417. f. 5).
Register—September 1596. Tomazin, wife of Mr John Brewster of Popler
Esquier buryed the XIX day. a monument is set in the Chancell.
NO. 13. BENJAMIN KENTON, 1820.
is another brass to Benjamen Ken ton Esq. Ob. 25 May 1800. Above the
name are the words "mortui resurgent " and a shield of circular form
bearing the arms (the colours are hatched only): az. Y a fesse erm. , in
chief fleur-de-lys, impaling chequee or and gu. T on a Jesse gu. 3
NO. 14. SIR THOS. SPERT, 1541.
marble monument to Sir Thos. Spert in the South wall of the Chancel is
of the same general design as that to Anne Nevill. Two black detached
Corinthian columns with gilt capitals and bases support the cornice. The
arch over the inscription (which is in gilt on black) is surrounded by a
gilt moulding with egg-and-dart carving. A cherub's head, copper
colour, with gilded hair forms the key & is flanked by two
similar heads. Three or four large gilded roses and two smaller ones add
to the ornamentation. Over the cornice are the arms gu., a saltire
between 4 body hearts or, on a chief of the second a ship; (this
according to Lysons, but the shield now shows an azure field) and on
each side a marble obelisk. Between the brackets that support the
columns is the date of erection of the monument by the Company of the
Trinity House in 1723. A similar inscription further down commemorates
its reparation in 1806, and between these two is a sunk panel with a
carved representation of a three-masted boat. The inscription is as
D. O. M.
Hereunder was laid
up ye bodie of Sir Thomas Spert Kt, some tyme Comptrowller of the Navy
to King Henry the 8th & both the first Founder and Master of the
worthie Society or Corporation called the Trinity Hovse. He lived
enobled by his owne Worth, and dyed ye 8th of September in ye yeare
1541, to whose pious Memorie the said Corporation hath gratefvlly
erected this Memoriall.
Not that he needed Monument of Stone
For his well gotten Fame to rest upon:
But this was rear'd to testifie that he
Lives in their Loves that yet surviving be
For unto Virtue, who first raisd his Name
He left the preservation of the same
And to Posterity remaine it shall
When Brasse and Marble Monuments do fall.
Learn for to dye while thow hast breath
So shalt thow live after thy Death.
Dom. 1622, by the Company of the Trinitye Howse, this Monument was
erected 81 years after ye Decease of theyr Founder. 1725. This monument
was again repaired and Beautified by the Corporation of the Trinity
House, in Commemoration of their Founder in the year 1806. Earl Spencer,
Master. Capt. Ios. Cotton, Dep. Mastr.
Norden mentions this burial thus—
Sir Thomas Spert Knight, sometime Controller of the Shippes to H. 8.
Dame Margary, Dame Anne and Dame Mary his wives lie in the Chauncell
there - he deceased Anno 1541.
NO. 15. MARY LEYBOURNE, 1731.
white stone tablet to Mary Leybourne with brownish-grey marble cornice
and architrave, and pilasters each side, is placed high up in the South
wall of the Chancel, at the extreme East end. Two lamps are carved above
and stand be- side the coat of arms : az. 6 lions rampant, 3, 2, and 1 .
Or. ; impaling gu. 3 lilies arg. A shaped sunk panel below is carved
with a representation of a winged skull.
NO. 16 BENJAMIN KENTON.
the memorial to Mrs. Leybourne is a monument of white marble to
Benjamin Kenton Esq. (1800). It consists of two fluted Doric columns
supporting a curved frieze upon which are placed three shields, and
between these, two ringed serpents. Behind the columns is a relief
representing a scene from the parable of the good Samaritan. The base
projects with a wider curve and has in its centre a panel with the
inscription & some indifferent carving. The shields bear the
following charges - 1. sa., a cross couped or, within a bordure of the
last. 2. sa., a fesse erm., in chief 3 fleur-de-lys or, within a bordure
of the last.
NO. 17. WILLIAM DAWTREY, 1589.
little wall tablet of reddish marble to William Dawtrey contains an
inscription in black letters in a square panel, on each side of which
are two slight pilasters having two sunk panels of black marble in each.
The whole is surmounted by a cornice on which is a shield, of which the
charges are almost invisible. The lower portion has two small shields
in relief and a black medallion in the centre. The arms, according to
Lysons, are as follows:—Quarterly of 6, 1 & 6. Az., 5 fusils in
fesse, arg.Dawtrey. 2. Az. 3 doves or.Wood. 3. Gu. a bend engrailed arg.
between 6 crescents or.Rivers. 4. Sa., 3 garbs or, from each a dove
rising arg.Skarfield. 5. Erm. 3 bars gu.Hussey. Impaling quarterly 1
& 4 Az. on a fesse between 3 stag's attires or, a fleur-de-lis
of the field between 2 demi-roses gu.Stoneley. 2. A lion rampant
bebruised with a baton. 3. A fesse vaire within a bordure engrailed, in
chief an unicorn.
Wm. Dawtrey married Dorothy, daughter and co-heir of Rich. Stonely, of Warwickshire.
Inscription on Marble Tablet—
suo. Gvlielmo Dawtrey Quondam Lincolniensis Hospitii socio: Wilhelmi
Dawtrei sus sexiæ. Armigeri filio et Hæredi, Viro ingenii acumine Mentis
acie, et non Vulgari Municipalium Angliæ legum Scientia, Præcellenti:
Richardus Stonley Armiger Hoc amoris et Pietatis simbolum posvit. Obiit
XVI Octobris 1589
NO. 18. REV. THOS. DOD, 1727.
shield of excellent design surmounts a tablet of white and black veined
marble, to the memory of the Rev. Thos. Dod, Rec tor of Stepney, his
sons Thomas, d. 1726, John, d. 1730, his daughters Ellin, d. 1727, and
Mary Colvill d. 1795, and his wife Mary, d. 1773. The inscription is on a
white slab that occupies the whole centre. A winged skull is carved
below. The arms upon the shield are thus described by Lysons : Arg. , on
a fesse gu. Between 2 bars wavy sa. 3 crescents or, impaling gu. A lion
rampant regard, or. The whole of the bearings do not, however, now
appear, and the sable bars and red field are all that are coloured.
NO. 19. ROBERT CLARKE, 1610.
monument to Robert Clarke and his daughter, is some height above the
Chancel floor in the North Wall. A cornice of marble and two large
pilasters enclose a recess in which are the figures of Robert Clarke and
his wife kneeling facing one another on either side of an altar. The
back is freely embellished with the usual strap ornament, fruit
& flowers, all round a central panel which bears the inscription
given below. The pilasters contain panels of black marble. Below is the
English inscription which is divided into two parts by small pilasters,
and beneath this the marble is of various colours. Two heads, floral
ornament and a central boss complete the memorial. The arms are placed
upon a corbel under the cornice and their description in Lysons runs
thus they are his own parentheses: Barry of gu. & vert, 2
pellets (they should be plates), impaling sa. (it should be az. ) 2
pales engrailed between fleur-de-lis in chief or Langton. The former is
repeated above upon a shield surmounted by a cherub and on each side an
urn. The monument is heavily gilt in parts, and the inner faces of the
pilasters are ornamented with a gilt net- work of lines.
OBITUM ROBERTE CLARKE GENEROSI QUI EX VITA HAC MIGRAVIT DIE MENSIS IN
CLERICI TUMULO SPECTRUM VIDE FRAGILITATIS VANA VIRI EST VIRTUS VITA
CADUCA CARO FLOS SICUT EST FUERIS SPIRANS FUIT HIC SICUT IPSE AST CELERI
RAPUIT MORS VIOLENTA PEDE VTQ CADAT FLORES IN GERMINE MESSIS IN HERBA
TURBINE COMOTUS SIC CLERICUS PERIIT VITA LICET BREVIS EST CŒLIS ÆTERNE
MORATUR QUEM COLIT OMNIPOTENS TOLLITER HUIC CITIUS LAUDIBUS EXIGUIS
DECORANS MAJORE MERENTEM DIMINUO LAUDES PIUS SIBI FAMA REFERT SI PIETAS
CHARITAS BONITASQ IN MENTE REFULGENT HÆC UBI CORDE VIRENT OMNIA RECTA
Here resteth the bodie of Robert Clarke Esq.
Sonne of Roger Clarke Esquire, late Alderman of the City of London, A
man humble in prosperity, a liberall distributer to the poore, curteous
& affable to all - an upright And a just dealer in this worlde
and a devoute and most relligious seeker for the worlde to come. He had
to wife Margaretta daughter to John Langton Esq. Sometyme Governor of
the English Company in Sprucia under the Kinge of Polonia: whoe lived
together in great love And integritie almost six yeeres He had by her
one onely daughter named Frances Who lived one yeere and three quarters
and here lyeth interred with her most deere and loving father. Whose
memory the said Margaretta to express her true love and affeccon hath
cavsed this Monument to be erected He dyed the xxxth day of May Ano Dni
1610 Having lived xxxv yeeres
Burial register.—June 12, 1610.
Robert Clarke of Bednal greene, Gent. sonne to Alderman Clarke of
London, deceased. he gave 36 mourninge gownes beside cloakes, and was
buried the 12 of June.
NO. 20. SIR HENRY COLLET, 1510.
large canopied altar tomb about seven feet wide, stands in a recess on
the N. Side of the Chancel. The tomb itself projects from the recess ;
it is of polished Purbeck marble, and has three square and four narrower
panels of tracery on the face. The back and sides of the recess above
are panelled, with two rows of arched and cusped heads, and the soffit
of the canopy is carved to represent vaulting and pendants. The face of
the canopy has arched and cusped heads, surmounted by a frieze of cusped
quatrefoils. All the stone-work over the tomb itself is whitened. One
of the shields in the tracery on the face of the tomb bears a small
brass shield inscribed as under :
Here lyeth sir Henry Collet knight twice mayor of London who died in the year or our Redemption 1510.
arms of Collet, as given by Lysons, are - The Deanery of St. Paul's,
impaling Sa., on a chevron engrailed between 3 hinds arg. as many
annulets of the field -Colet. Weever adds a note to this inscription:
This Henry was son to Robert Collet of Wendover in Bucks, and father to
John Collet, Dean of St. Pauls, in the first time of his mayoralty the
Crosse in Cheapside was new builded in that beautiful manner as it now
This monument is kept in repair by the Mercers' Company.
H. Colet wills to be buried at Stepney, at the sepulchre before St.
Dunstan and his monument is still to be seen on the N. side of the
Church.Gough's Sepulchral Monuments 1786. Vol. I. Part I, p. 11.
The three following brasses, all of triangular shape, with inscriptions in Latin, are on the floor of the Chancel :
NO. 21. CHARLOTTE LEE, 1862.
Wife of the Rev. R. Lee, M. A. , Rector of Stepney 1847-1869.
NO. 22. EVAN JAMES, 1842 AND SARA ANNE JAMES, 1840.
NO. 23. BENJAMIN KENTON, 1800. See No. 16.
Weever (Fun. Mon. J also gives the two following monuments as being in the Church in his time :
JO. KITT, OR KITE, BISHOP OF CARLISLE, 1537.
this ston closyde and marmorate Lyeth JOHN KITTE Londoner natyffe.
Encreasyng in vertues rose to high estate, In the fourth EDWARDS chappel
by his yong lyffe, Sith whych the sevinth HENRYES servyce primatyffe
Proceeding stil in vertuous efficase To be in favour with this our
king's grase. With witt endewyd chosen to be legate Sent into Spayne,
where he ryght ioyfully Combyned both prynces, in pease most amate: In
Grece archbyshop elected worthely, And last of Carlyel rulying
pastorally Kepyng nobyl houshold wyth grete hospitality: On thowsand
fyve hundred thirty and sevyn, Invyterate wyth pastoral carys, consumyd
with age, The nintenth of Iun reckonyd ful evyn, Passyd to hevyn from
wordly pylgramage: Of whos soul good pepul of cherite Prey, as ye wold
be preyd for ; for thus must ye lie. JESU mercy lady help.
RICHARD PACE, DEAN OF ST. PAUL'S, 1532.
iacet hie venerabilis ille decauus Qui fuit etatis doctus Apollo sue ;
Eloquio, forma, ingenio, virtutibus, arte Nobilis, eternum viuere dignus
erat. Consilio bonus, ingenio fuit vtilis acri, Facunda eloquij
deteritate potens. Non rigidus, non ore minax, affabilis omni Tempore ;
seu puero seu loquerere seni. Nulli vnquam nocuit, multos adiuvit,
& omnes Officij studuit demeruisse bonos. Tantus hie et talis,
ne non deleatur ademptus Flent muse, et laceris mesta minerua comis.
Obijt anno 1532. Etat circiter40.
This PACE succeeded
COLLET in the Deanery of Paul's, a man highly in favor with K. HENRY
VIII. By whom he was employed as ambassador to MAXIMILIAN the German
emperor; as also to Rome in the behalf of Cardinal WOLSEY, who stood in
election for the pope dom. He wrote divers learned treatises yet extant.
Nam vir erat (saith BALE) vtriusque literature peritia prasditus. Nemo
ingenio candidior, aut humanitate amicitior: he was a right worthy man,
and one who gave in counsel faithful advice; learned he was also,
& indowed with many excellent gifts of nature, courteous,
pleasant, and delighting in music, highly in the king's favor, &
well heard in matters of weight. (Weever) .
MONUMENTS IN THE NORTH AISLE.
24. Stone panel, with sculpture of the Crucifixion, enclosed in an
ornamented. From the character of the figures and the detail of the
border, the date of the work is generally assigned to the 12th century
probably the latter portion; and so, unless we accept the statement that
the font still retains some of its original stonework, although
restored, this panel is the oldest work now remaining in the Church.
Until the 1899 restoration it was outside over the south door of the
nave, but was then brought to its present position for better
NO. 25. Stone coffin lid, with moulded
edges, bearing on its face a cross botonee, with a solid circle at the
intersection of the arms, and surmounting a slender stem which stands on
a base of 3 steps. The carving is in very low relief.
NO. 26. ANN MOOR, 1804.
A plain white marble slab, to Ann Moor, wife of Capt. John Moor, died at "Demarary, South America" 36
NO. 27. ANN ELDER, 181 1.
plain white marble slab, on a simple base, recording also a bequest of
five pounds a year to the Rector of Stepney for the time being, "to keep
her family tomb (in the churchyard) in substantial and decent repair. "
NO. 28. A stone tablet, bearing no date, records that
Elder Gave by her Will the interest of £315 to three Daughters of
Master Mariners under these conditions, that their respective fathers
shall have been wrecked on the Coast of Cornwall, that they have
attended the ser vices and sacraments of the Church of England, and be
of deserving character. And that their respective ages be not under 20
years. Preference to be given to the Hamlet of Ratcliff, where they
shall be resident at the time of their Fathers' misfortune. The above
shall be given at the Vestry of the Church on the 4th Jany. In every
year by the Rector. "
NO. 29. SIR JOHN BERRY, 1689.
severely classical memorial to D. Joannes. Berry, who died in 1689:
comprises a bust of himself in front of a black marble niche which is
itself surmounted by architrave and pediment of white marble. The bust
stands upon a curved pediment covering the inscription, which is in
Latin, and forms a panel in a round frieze which with its architrave,
completes the tablet. Lysons gives his arms: Or, 3 bars gu. , but they
are not on the monument.
NESCIAS LECTOR, D JOANNES BERRY DEVONIENSIS, DIGNITATE, EQUESTRI.
CLARUS, MARIS TANTUM NON IMPERATOR, DE REGE ET PATRIA, QUOD ET BARBARR
NORUNT, BENE MERITCS. MAGNAM OB RES FORTITER GESTAS ADEPTUS GLORIAM FAM^
SATUR, POST MULT AS REPORT AT AS VICTORIAS, CUM AB ALUS VINCI NON
POTUIT, FATIS CESSIT 1 4 FEBR 1 689 BAPTIZATUS 7 JAN 1 635
Burial register, Feb. 21, 1 689 Sr John Berry ofMileend, Knight.
NO. 30. HUGO JAMES, 1728.
square tablet of white veined marble sunk in a deep moulding and
surmounted by a shield, is that of Hugo James. His arms Arg. T a cross
NO. 31. NICHOLAS DIXON, 1818.
A plain white marble tablet, recording the above, and his wife Elizabeth Ann, d. 1823.
NO. 32. JOHN CHARRINGTON, 1815.
white marble tablet, recording the above, who died Dec. 9th, and his
wife Katherine, who died on the 1 3th of the same month. "They were
interred the same day in the family vault at their native place,
NO. 33. LIEUTENANT HAROLD CHARRINGTON, R. N. , 1882.
white marble tablet, in a frame of serpentine, to the memory of Lieut.
Charrington, of H. M. S. Euryalus, and great-grandson of the above John ;
who, together with Professor Edward Palmer, of Cambridge, and Capt. W.
J. Gill, R. E. , was killed by Arabs in the Desert of Sinai. The
inscription further records the interment of their remains in the crypt
of St. Paul's Cathedral, and the erection, by the Admiral and officers
of the 'Euryalus, ' of a tablet in Hunsdon Church, Herts., to the memory
of Lieut. Charrington.
NO. 34. ELIZABETH STARTUTE, 1620.
recesses, one above the other, enclose figures of the deceased lady and
the erectors of the monument. Dame Elizabeth Startute is above
kneeling; two detached Corinthian columns support the frieze, upon which
is an inscription, and under the soffit of the cornice are three gilded
roses. The lower recess is the larger and holds the figures of Capt.
Michael Merriall and Clare his wife, who was eldest daughter to
Elizabeth Startute. They kneel opposite one another, an altar between.
chief inscription lies in a space between the two recesses and below
the two figures another inscription tells of the gift. Two roses finish
the corbels to the columns and a winged skull is beneath the centre. The
figures and ornaments are painted and gilded as is usual in the tombs
of the same date. Over the top cornice stand the arms : Az. Y between 2
bend- lets gu. , 3 garbs sa. Lysons describes the field as argent.
THE MEMORY OF THEIR BELOVED MOTHER ELIZABTH THE WIDDOW OF RICHARD
STARTUTE CITIZEN AND FISHMUNGER OF LONDON : WHO HAD ISSHUE BY HIM 3 SONS
& 4 DAUGHTERS, AFTER I O YERES SPENT WTH HIMREMAYNED 34 YEARS
HIS WIDDOW IN LIFE AND DEATH A CONSTANT EXAMPELE OF TRUE VIRTUE AND
SWEETLY FEL-ASLEEP IN THE LORD DECEMBER 5, 1620. ETAT 74. CAPTAIN
MICHAEL MERRIALL AND CLARE HIS WIFE, ELDEST DAUGHTER OF THE ABOVE NAMED
ELIZABETH STARTUTE, HAVE ERECTED THIS MONU MENT AS A TESTIMONI OF HER
VIRTV & THEIR LOV.. THIS LIFE IS A WARFARE. COME LORD IESUS COME
QUICKLY. REV. 22
NO. 35. JOSEPH SOMES, 1845.
elaborate monument, of Gothic design, in white and grey veined marbles,
to J. Somes, M. P. for Dartmouth, and a prominent shipowner. The in
scription is in a central arched recess, and over is a shield bearing
the arms - Erm. A cinquefoil, on a canton an escallop. Below the
inscription is a carving, in white marble, of "two full-rigged ships off
the Port of London."
Burial Register. July 2, 1 845. Joseph Somes of M. E. O. T. Age 58.
NO. 36. ABRAHAM RALLINGS, 1644.
A square rough stone with raised margin, to the above, and also to "Abraham his sonn " who died in the same year.
NO. 37. JOSEPH JEWSON COOPER, 1874.
A white scroll upon a black marble slab, with inscription, and the remains of a carving in relief at the top.
38. Over the doorway leading from the Chancel to the Vestry is a small
mutilated sculpture representing the Annunciation, enclosed in a panel
having a triangular cinquefoiled head. Previous to the recent
restoration it was in the wall of the north porch, & before
that, in Lysons' time, on the west wall of the Church.
Font, which is generally regarded as the original one, though much
restored, consists of a square bowl, the E. & W. Sides of which
are ornamented with arcading. The south side contains a series of
maltese crosses, each in the centre of an amulet, and the north side
bears intersected triangles, filled with foliage at the extremities. It
is supported by a central shaft, and at the four corners by pillars of
Purbeck marble, with floriated capitals. At the base is a cruciform step
which is raised upon a large circular slab of black marble. This slab
bears upon it the following inscription: Presented by William Henry
Hawkins, Esq. , 1848. Lysons refers to the font as "ancient, stands on a
circular pillar, surrounded by four others of a smaller size "; it
would appear, therefore, that if the present font is the original one,
it has been re-chiselled and polished to such a degree in one or other
of the frequent "restorations" of the Church as to effectually destroy
all traces of its antiquity.
The brass eagle lectern
is modern, and has upon its base inscriptions recording the restorations
of the Church in 1871-3, and 1880-1, together with the names of the
respective Rectors and Churchwardens during those periods.
of in the nave and aisles is of plain oak, the sides and backs Church
converted from the former high-backed pews. The choir stalls are also of
There is a carving of the Royal Arms fixed on the
nave wall above the tower arch; it bears no date. In form it is an oval
shield surrounded by the motto of the Garter, and with the usual
quarterings. Shield surmounted by a knight's helmet; supporters, crowned
lion, and unicorn; motto, " Dieu et mon droit. " The whole surmounted
by royal crown and lion.
THE CHURCHYARD AND ITS MONUMENTS.
CAPT. WILLIAM WILDEY, 1679. Altar tomb much decayed. Arms : a chevron gouttee bet. 3 martlets.
ROBARTS, 1761, and family. Large altar tomb, enclosed by iron railings.
Arms : 3 cross bows, a label for difference, on an escutcheon of
pretence, a chevron gouttee bet. 3 birds close, for Wildey. Crest : a
stag lodged regardant.
Thursday, 12 March 2015
After just over a year the family tree is back online and now cross referenced with everyone born between 1771 and dying after 1841 against the 1841-1911 census returns. This amounted to about 8000 individuals and I'm now wondering what to do next - I'll probably go back to churching.
Anyway the new site can be found here.
Anyway the new site can be found here.
Wednesday, 11 March 2015
I happened across a site today that covers Leicestershire & Rutland churches, not, I have to admit, in as much detail as I'd like but nonetheless it's shown me a wholly new and really exciting, to me, vernacular.
Almost all exteriors look stunning but the interiors appear to be a bit hit and miss; as usual due to insensitive Victorian restoration. Having said that there appears to be a lot of Norman work that has survived.
I think I might need to sell up and move northwards instead of doing the City of London churches next.
The best church, so far, has become a church I must see before I die: Titencote.
Almost all exteriors look stunning but the interiors appear to be a bit hit and miss; as usual due to insensitive Victorian restoration. Having said that there appears to be a lot of Norman work that has survived.
I think I might need to sell up and move northwards instead of doing the City of London churches next.
The best church, so far, has become a church I must see before I die: Titencote.