Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Duxford, Cambridgeshire part 2

St Peter is no match for it's brother church St John but is pleasantly set in the heart of the village raised up on what passes for a hill in these parts. As previously noted St John became redundant and escaped the attentions of Victorian restorers whereas St Peter was not so fortunate.

The exterior is pleasant enough while the interior is, frankly, bland.

ST PETER. Flint and pebble rubble. Norman W tower, unbuttressed but provided with four thin shafts or roll mouldings up the angles (cf. Burwell). Norman twin bell-openings, nook-shafted outside but with a chunk of wall left standing between the two openings. Later battlements and spire. The tower arch is broad and low and stands on the plainest imposts. To the nave, however, one thin shaft is inserted on each side. Norman also one chancel N window which now gives on the vestry. Another chancel N window is a C13 lancet with a transom low down. Then follows the early C14. At the time of Archdeacon Fodringhey (1304-16) a visitation took place in which it was stated that work had been begun on the S side of the church. The windows are indeed Dec here, and the doorway is plainly double-chamfered without capitals. The same windows on the N side. On the E side of the N aisle, l. and r. of the window, niches on demiļ¬gures of angels. But they are Perp, as are the N and S arcades of only three bays; polygonal shafts separated by hollows between two ridges in the diagonals. Arches with two wave mouldings. Much of the external detail is due to the restoration by Ewan Christian, 1883. - FONT. Bowl square, chamfered, plain. Stem with angle shafts and some primitive C14 tracery decoration. - COMMUNION RAIL. With twisted balusters; c. 1700.

Mee's observations on Duxford can be found here.





Flickr set.

No comments:

Post a Comment