Sunday, 31 October 2010

Six Mile Bottom, Cambridgeshire

Another place missed by Mee Six Mile Bottom is a hamlet within the parish of Little Wilbraham, near Cambridge.

The hamlet was built in the 19th century, and is named for its distance from the start of Newmarket Racecourse and because it lies in a valley bottom. Six Mile Bottom railway station served the village from the late 1840s (by the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway) until 1967. The brick-and-flint church of St. George was built in 1935.

Among the earliest residents were George and Augusta Leigh, she being Lord Byron's half-sister. Their residence is now the Country House Hotel, Swynford Paddocks.

St George


No comments:

Post a Comment