Sunday 24 March 2019

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk (St John)

I know I shouldn't, and I'm not sure why I do, but I rather liked St John, open, perhaps just because it was open. The roof was being repaired and scaffolding filled the aisles obscuring windows et al so a revisit is required.

Almost a year later I revisited and confirmed how rewarding the interior is with truly amazing Stations of the Cross by Ian McKillop and all round general fabulosity - highly recommended.

ST JOHN, St John’s Street. Consecrated 1841. By Ranger of London. Yellow brick, with a w tower and an ignorant spire. Gaunt recessed porch, under the spire. The style of the church is E.E. Clerestory with three stepped lancets per bay. Timber rib-vault. The W end is canted towards the tower. The E end re-done by J. Drayton Wyatt in 1875* - STAINED GLASS. The E window original, but renovated (i.e. new glass surrounds to the three scenes) in 1960 (ARA). - PLATE. Set of 1841.

External Panorama

I don't think Mee visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment