Wednesday 31 October 2018

Santon Warren, Norfolk

All Saints, open, was meant to be my eighth visit of the day but my sat nav refused to recognise the postcode I had and also refused to recognise that Santon, Norfolk was a thing, so I abandoned it as a lost cause. Later whilst at Santon Downham I saw the smallest sign ever made for Santon Warren and followed my nose to St Helen's picnic site and from there to the church. Truth be told there's not a lot to see here - it's a tiny church - but full and proper kudos for being open.

ALL SAINTS. Said to have been rebuilt in 1628 with medieval materials. If this is true, it certainly does not show any longer. In 1858 the chancel was added, with parts of the S transept of West Tofts church. The only remarkable parts are the E.E. stiff-leaf corbels on heads. The E.E. windows all look C19. Medieval the two hood-mould stops in the form of balls of leaf which are above a window in the tower. This is in a SW position, a position not unusual in this area of Norfolk. - PLATE. Chalice, 1633-4; Paten of about the same date; Paten, 1805-6.

All Saints (4)

Chancel roof

Four apostles (4)

Mee missed it.

1 comment: