Tuesday 30 October 2018

Thetford, Norfolk - St Cuthbert

Cards on the table, Thetford. is. a. hellhole. Whoever is responsible for traffic management should be sacked and the people responsible for its development need to be held accountable for what Simon Knott memorably describes as the "rape of Thetford". Generally I find this area of Norfolk to be amongst the most attractive of East Anglian delights but Thetford is an irradicable stain. It also appears to be fairly Godless [unsurprising] since two of its old churches are redundant and the third locked. It's a soul destroying town.

St Cuthbert, locked, appears to be an Evangelical church - this is based on no more than its sign and the fact that such a central church [with little danger of lead stripping of other perfidy]  is kept locked, in my experience such churches are retained for the God fearing few and not for the likes of you and me - and thus sent a shudder up my spine. I rather liked the west vista but suspect I missed little inside.

ST CUTHBERT, King Street. Simple C13 S doorway with shafts, W tower (rebuilt after I854) with flushwork parapet. Perp S aisle; N aisle of 1902. In the chancel C13 double piscina. - (SCREEN.C15) - PLATE. Set, inscribed 1810.

St Cuthbert (2)

For Mee see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment