Friday 25 January 2019

Higham [St Stephen], Suffolk

I arrived at St Stephen, locked, keyholder listed, at sunset which only added to the improbable romanticism of Gilbert Scott's 1861 fantasy church. The round tower catching the last of the golden light and the tranquil location rounded the day off perfectly [I have to admit to a certain surprise at  how much I loved St Stephen]. On the whole I think I'm glad it was too late too track down a keyholder, I think the interior might not live up to the exterior.

ST STEPHEN. By Sir G. G. Scott, 1861. In the Geometrical style. Scott gave himself the pleasure of a round Suffolk tower with a round spire, and nicely placed the baptistery in it and vaulted it with a rib-vault. We are grateful for this touch of fancy.-PLATE. Cup 'bought in Florence, partly C15' (P.S.I.A. IX).

St Stephen (2)

Am I still allowed to say "to my surprise" Mee missed it?

No comments:

Post a Comment