Tuesday 11 February 2020

Great Wenham, Suffolk

To be fair, any church was going to be a poor relation when being compared to the fabulous All Saints, Little Wenham and Great Wenham was no exception. I think that had I visited St John, open, first I would have liked it more but as I didn't I have to say I found it over restored and pretty much devoid of interest, although it has to be said that it has a fine tower. It's one of those buildings that I will have completely forgotten in a few weeks time.

ST JOHN. Fine Perp W tower with flushwork decoration on base and buttresses. The rest alas plastered. Early C14 chancel with N and S windows which are lancets or have Y-tracery. Three stepped lancets at the E end with pointed trefoiled heads. On the N side a low-side window. - TILES. Many in the chancel, probably of the C15. - HELMET etc. of the East family.

Headstone

JE Lott 1917

1914-1918

Bizarrely Mee, having visited [?] Little Wenham, missed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment